1. Bringing Information to an Audience
What does a journalist do?
2. News Values and Story Ideas
What do we cover?
3. Media Law
May we cover that?
4. Media Ethics
Should we cover that?
5. Writing Breaking News and Developing Stories
Is it timely?
6. Writing General News Stories
It's news, but it's not breaking
7. Writing Headlines and Captions
Why will they read it?
8. Researching and Evaluating Sources
How do we know that?
9. Interviews and Attributions
Whom do we ask? How do we quote them?
10. Feature Stories
When it's time to go deeper
Who won and why?
12. Editorials, Opinion Pieces, Columns, Blogs and Cartoons
What do you think?
13. Reviews—of Everything
If you want my expert opinion
14. Letters to the Editor, Online Responses and Community Forums
Is it good if they talk back to you?
15. Designing with Purpose
How do we pull the reader in with design
16. Visual and Multimedia Storytelling
How do we show them the story?
How do we pay the bills?