Strengthening Family & Self is completely restructured, with chapters divided into short sections. Each section opens with a reading activity, a vocabulary activity, and key terms. Review questions at the end of every section reinforce content.Engaging features capture students' interest and facilitate learning.
Life Sketch-introduces chapter concepts through an interesting, real-life story.
Use What You Learn-students apply what they read to given situations.
Weigh the Facts-compare and contrast important concepts.
Investigate Further-students analyze what they learn and expand their knowledge.
Think More About It-extend learning through critical thinking.
Link to Your Life-reflect on how the text related to student experiences.
Each chapter concludes with a Think It Through case study and suggested activities. Many of these provide differentiated learning opportunities to use with students who respond to various learning styles.
Each unit concludes with a Connecting with Career Clusters feature that focuses on a specific career. Career pathways, career outlooks,and activities such as job shadowing and community service are included.
Products & Prices6-12 Education
Table of Contents
Unit 1: Reaching Your Potential
1. A Close-Up View of You 2. Your Growth and Development 3. Strengthening Positive Attitudes 4. Developing Decision-Making Skills
Unit 2: Strengthening Relationships
5. Developing Communication Skills 6. Family and Peer Relationships 7. Dating 8. Choosing to Marry 9. Adjusting to Marriage
Unit 3: Establishing a Family
10. Choosing to Parent 11. Pregnancy and Childbirth 12. Helping Children Grow and Develop 13. Caring for and Guiding Children
Unit 4: Understanding Families
14. Todays Family 15. Strengthening Family Interactions 16. Crises in the Family 17. Divorce and Remarriage 18. Families Change over Time
Unit 5: Fulfilling Career and Community Roles
19. Choosing Your Career Path 20. Balancing Family and Work 21. Becoming a Leader in Your Community
Unit 6: Managing Your World
22. Managing Your Time 23. Managing Your Money 24. Protecting Your Resources 25. Meeting Your Nutritional Needs 26. Maintaining Your Health and Well-Being 27. Managing Your Wardrobe 28. Managing Your Housing 29. Managing Your Transportation
Leona Johnson - is presently the PK-12 Director of Curriculum and Instruction in her district. She is leading the district in new initiatives, including reading across the curriculum K-12, STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) initiatives, Formative and Summative Assessments, Six Trait Writing, and differentiated instruction. Johnson has been active in school improvement programs, performing school evaluations in area districts, and presenting workshops on various topics. She is a participating member of several professional organizations and has received recognition for her various academic and professional endeavors, including a Kohl Fellow Scholarship and Award of Excellence for her contributions to education. Johnson previously taught secondary family and consumer sciences in her district, and individual and family relations at the University of Wisconsin-Stout. In addition, she has served as a research specialist for the University.