Small Gas Engines explores the principles of small gasoline engine design, construction, and operation. It also presents a detailed overview of small engine maintenance, troubleshooting, service, rebuilding, and repair. In addition, Small Gas Engines includes extensive coverage of outdoor power equipment applications and the specialized service related to each type of equipment.
The 2012 edition has been extensively reorganized to help improve comprehension.
Content has been updated throughout the text.
Engine service information is arranged in a logical sequence, similar to the order in which service and rebuilding procedures are performed.
New Fundamentals of Electricity, Magnetism, and Electronics chapter introduces students to the basics of electricity and electronics.
Includes a new Engine Reassembly and Break-In chapter.
Presents a variety engine types from a wide range of manufacturers.
All important components are identified and operating principles are fully explained before troubleshooting, service, and repair are discussed.
Full color is used throughout the text to enhance student comprehension.
Each chapter includes review questions and activities to reinforce learning.
The expanded teaching package includes a Workbook that reinforces concepts presented in the text and allows students to apply what they have learned. A comprehensive Instructor's Resource CD is also available to supplement this edition. Other supplements include an Instructor's Presentations for PowerPoint CD and an EXAMVIEW® Assessment Suite CD.
Products & Prices
Table of Contents
Shop Equipment, Supplies, and Safety
1. Safety in the Small Gas Engine Shop 2. Tools and Measuring Instruments 3. Fasteners, Sealants, and Gaskets 4. Fundamentals of Electricity, Magnetism, and Electronics
Basics of Engine Operation
5. Principles of Two- and Four-Stroke Engine Operation 6. Engine Components 7. Measuring Engine Performance
8. Fuel Supply, Air Induction, and Emissions 9. Carburetion 10. Ignition Systems 11. Lubrication Systems 12. Cooling Systems
13. Preventive Maintenance and Troubleshooting 14. Fuel System Service 15. Ignition and Electrical System Service 16. Engine Inspection, Disassembly, and Cylinder Reconditioning 17. Cylinder, Crankshaft, and Piston Service 18. Camshaft and Valve Train Service 19. Engine Reassembly and Break-In
20. Lawn and Brush Equipment 21. Lawn and Garden Tractors 22. Snow Throwers 23. Personal Watercraft 24. Career Opportunities and Certification
Alfred C. Roth - was an inventor who holds six patents. He was a member of the Equipment & Engine Training Council (EETC) Certification Test Committee and taught for more than thirty years at the college level.
Blake J. Fisher - is a technical editor and writer with over ten years of experience.
W. Scott Gauthier - has more than 20 years of experience as a technical editor and technical writer. He is a coauthor of the Goodheart-Willcox Automotive Encyclopedia and has written several educational supplements.