Professional Communication helps meet the challenges of today's digital world, where communication is more important than ever. The basics of writing, speaking, listening, and reading are carefully interwoven into each chapter, enabling the application of English/language arts skills in context. Contemporary topics, such as technical writing and writing for social media, integrate the writing process and digital techniques to develop expertise that is needed for the workplace. Portfolio development activities provide an opportunity to create a personal portfolio to use when applying for college, a community service position, or a job.
The correlation of Professional Communication to Precision Exams Business Communication exams prepares students for certification testing.
Communication videos bring the content to life and illustrate how professional communication skills are used in the real world.
Digital citizenship is explained in detail to prepare students for professional responsibilities in school and in a career.
Exploring Communication Careers examines a wide variety of opportunities in the Arts, A/V & Communication career cluster.
Products & Prices6-12 Education
Table of Contents
Unit 1 Communication for a Digital Society
1. Professional CommunicationIntroduction to Professional CommunicationCommunicating Effectively 2. Communicating in the WorkplaceDiversity in the WorkplaceTeams 3. Digital CitizenshipCommunicating in a Digital SocietyWorkplace EthicsHistory of Communication
Unit 2 Writing Basics
4. Grammar SkillsSentencesNouns, Pronouns, and AdjectivesVerbs and AdverbsConjunctions, Prepositions, and Interjections 5. Grammar MechanicsPunctuationCapitalization and NumbersStructure and Word Choice 6. Writing ProcessPreparing to WriteExecuting the Writing Plan 7. Writing StyleStyle and ToneSentence Style
Unit 3 Writing Professional Communication
8. Writing Professional MessagesMessages That Inform or InstructMessages That Request or Persuade 9. Formatting Professional MessagesFormatting LettersFormatting Memos and E-mails 10. Writing for Specialized PurposesWriting Technical DocumentsWriting for Social Media 11. Writing ReportsPlanning and ResearchFormal and Informal Reports 12. Document DesignUsing Visuals to CommunicateDesktop Publishing Basics
Unit 4 Speaking and Presenting
13. Informal and Formal PresentationsSpeaking in the WorkplaceFormal Presentations 14. Delivering PresentationsDeveloping a Slide PresentationPreparing and Evaluating the Presentation 15. Enhancing a Presentation with Digital MediaDigital Media BasicsCreating Digital Media Presentations
Unit 5 Listening and Reading
16. Listening with a PurposeListening Is a SkillActive Listeners 17. Reading with a PurposeReading SkillsReading Techniques
Unit 6 Career Success
18. Career PlanningChoosing a CareerPlanning for Your Education 19. Writing for EmploymentRésumésCover Messages and Job ApplicationsJob Interviews and the Employment Process
Goodheart-Willcox Publisher - For nearly 100 years, Goodheart-Willcox has focused exclusively on providing quality instructional resources for Career and Technical Education. G-W textbooks, available in print and digital formats, provide the most relevant content at an exceptional value to prepare students for successful careers. As always, our products are backed by personal service and time-saving Instructor Resources to meet your needs. G-W is the premier textbook publisher for Technical, Trades, and Technology; Family & Consumer Sciences; Business, Marketing & Career Education; Health Sciences; Agricultural Education; and Health Education.