The Nursing Assistant: Essentials of Holistic Care teaches the knowledge and skills needed to become a nursing assistant. With this text's sharp focus on holistic care, students will learn how to perform the procedures required of nursing assistants while integrating and considering patients' and residents' bodies, minds, and spirits. The rich and visual, step-by-step procedures in this book illustrate techniques necessary to work in a variety of healthcare settings, including long-term and acute care.
Holistic care is at the center of this book's approach to nursing assisting. This innovative approach is illustrated in the Providing Holistic Care Framework and embodies the meaning of holistic care, communicating the importance of meeting the needs of the whole person—body, mind, and spirit.
Comprehensive procedures introduce techniques for properly executing the responsibilities of a nursing assistant. Using easy-to-follow instructions, professional photographs, and detailed illustrations, these procedures provide important information for the certification competency examination.
Practice test questions, similar to those found on the certification competency examination, are found at the end of each chapter. These questions are accompanied by numerous reinforcement, critical thinking, and application activities and provide an opportunity for students to prepare for the certification competency examination. Practice questions are also available in the Study Guide and instructor's presentations for PowerPoint.
Each chapter is broken into sections, making it easy to assign manageable chunks and create lessons that introduce and reinforce content for maximum understanding. Review questions at the end of each section also reinforce material to solidify student learning.
Professional videos demonstrating procedures are available on the Online Learning Suite that accompanies this text. These videos help students visualize the steps they must master for the certification competency examination.
Products & Prices
Table of Contents
Part 1 The Nursing Assistant—Roles and Responsibilities
1. The Holistic Nursing Assistant 2. Understanding Healthcare 3. Legal and Ethical Practice 4. Working in Healthcare 5. Providing Holistic Nursing Care
Part 2 Health and Well-Being—Self-Care and Disease
6. Human Behavior and Development 7. Health and Wellness 8. The Healthy Body: Anatomy and Physiology 9. Diseases, Conditions, and Pain
Part 3 Holistic Communication and Cultural Humility
10. Communication and Caring 11. Appreciating Diversity
Part 4 Observing, Reporting, and Documenting
12. Planning, Observing, and Reporting Care 13. Records and Documentation
Part 5 Infections and Infection Prevention
14. Body Defenses and Infection 15. Infection Prevention and Control
Part 6 Safety and Mobility
16. Maintaining a Safe Environment and Practice 17. Promoting Mobility
Part 7 Obtaining Health Information
18. Vital Signs, Height, and Weight 19. Physical Examination and Specimen Collection
Part 8 Providing Personal Care
20. Creating a Safe, Restful Environment 21. Assisting with Personal Hygiene
Part 9 Nutrition, Fluid Balance, and Elimination
22. Healthy Eating and Nutritional Challenges 23. Hydration and Elimination
Part 10 Special Issues, Populations, and Emergency Care
24. Disabilities, Cognitive Disorders, and Mental and Emotional Health 25. Caring for Special Populations and Needs 26. Emergencies and Disasters 27. End-of-Life Care
Part 11 Taking the Next Steps
28. Certification, Employment, and Lifelong Learning
Dr. Sue C. Roe - has taught and designed academic courses and training programs in nursing, allied health, and health administration for over 35 years at both public and private universities and colleges and using a variety of delivery formats. She is the executive editor of Wholistic Now!, an online newsletter focusing on holistic health, wellness, leadership, and education. Dr. Roe is also a co-leader for the Arizona Holistic Nurses chapter of the American Holistic Nurses Association. Dr. Roe is manager and a member of The Roe Group Enterprises, LLC, a resource for educational materials about holistic health. She has a doctorate in public administration, with an emphasis in administration and health policy. In addition, she completed graduate-level work in educational administration and instructional development. Dr. Roe has extensive experience in nursing and nursing education and holds master of science and bachelor of science degrees in nursing.