Modern Cabinetmaking is a comprehensive text that focuses on the techniques used by custom cabinetmakers and home woodworkers. While still providing classic coverage, the text has been thoroughly revised to include the latest in technology, materials, and processes such as CNC, 32mm System construction, ready-to-assemble casework, and grinding and sharpening. This edition includes many new photos and diagrams showing updated technology and techniques. A chapter on employment introduces students to the careers related to cabinetmaking skills, and a chapter discussing industrial organizations helps students learn how to get more involved.
The text and workbook correlate to Woodwork Career Alliance standards, ensuring that students gain the skills they need to be successful in industry.
Content is organized in a logical sequence, teaching students the design and construction process in a step-by-step manner.
Three new chapters have been added for this edition—Cabinetmaking Industry Overview, CNC Machinery, and Sharpening—to support student learning of the latest standards, technology, and techniques.
Products & Prices
Table of Contents
1. Introduction to Cabinetmaking 2. Health and Safety 3. Career Opportunities 4. Cabinetmaking Industry Overview
Design and Layout
5. Cabinetry Styles 6. Components of Design 7. Design Decisions 8. Human Factors 9. Production Decisions 10. Sketches, Mock-Ups, and Working Drawings 11. Creating Working Drawings 12. Marking, Measuring, and Laying Out Materials
13. Wood Characteristics 14. Lumber and Millwork 15. Cabinet and Furniture Woods 16. Manufactured Panel Products 17. Veneers and Plastic Overlays 18. Glass and Plastic Products 19. Hardware 20. Fasteners 21. Ordering Materials and Supplies
22. Sawing with Hand and Portable Power Tools 23. Sawing with Stationary Power Machines 24. Surfacing with Hand and Portable Power Tools 25. Surfacing with Stationary Machines 26. Shaping 27. Drilling and Boring 28. Computer Numerically Controlled (CNC) Machinery 29. Abrasives 30. Using Abrasives and Sanding Machines 31. Adhesives 32. Gluing and Clamping 33. Bending and Laminating 34. Overlaying and Inlaying Veneer 35. Installing Plastic Laminates 36. Turning 37. Joinery 38. Accessories, Jigs, and Special Machines 39. Sharpening
40. Case Construction 41. Frame and Panel Components 42. Cabinet Supports 43. Doors 44. Drawers 45. Cabinet Tops and Tabletops 46. Kitchen Cabinets 47. Built-In Cabinetry and Paneling 48. Furniture
49. Finishing Decisions 50. Preparing Surfaces for Finish 51. Finishing Tools and Equipment 52. Stains, Fillers, Sealers, and Decorative Finishes 53. Topcoatings