Modern Automotive Technology, supports career readiness for those wishing to pursue a job in the automotive industry. Organized around the ASE automobile test areas, it details the construction, operation, diagnosis, service, and repair of late-model automobiles and light trucks. Student-focused content is presented using a building-block approach that starts with the fundamental principles of system operation and progresses gradually to complex diagnostic and service procedures. Thorough coverage of the latest developments in the automotive field, including hybrid technology and direct gasoline injection, helps prepare students to service and repair today's complex vehicles. Modern Automotive Technology is also a perfect reference for those preparing for the ASE automobile certification tests.
Organized around the ASE automobile test areas and correlated to the 2017 NATEF Task List (MLR, AST, and MAST).
Short sentences, concise definitions, and thousands of color images help students learn quickly and easily.
Strong emphasis on electricity and electronics provides students with a thorough understanding of this key topic.
1. The Automobile 2. Automotive Careers and ASE Certification 3. Basic Hand Tools 4. Power Tools and Equipment 5. Auto Shop Safety 6. Automotive Measurement and Math 7. Service Information and Work Orders 8. Fasteners, Gaskets, Seals, and Sealants 9. Vehicle Maintenance, Fluid Service, and Recycling 10. Career Success
11. Engine Fundamentals 12. Engine Design Classifications 13. Engine Top End Construction 14. Engine Bottom End Construction 15. Engine Front End Construction 16. Engine Size and Performance Measurements
Fundamentals of Electricity and Electronics
17. Electrical Principles 18. Circuit Types and Ohm's Law 19. Electric and Electronic Components 20. Electrical Tools and Test Equipment 21. Wiring Diagrams and Wiring Repairs 22. Basic Electrical Tests
Computer Control Technology
23. Computer System Fundamentals 24. On-Board Diagnostics and Scan Tools 25. Computer System Service
Electrical and Electronic Systems Technology
26. Hybrid Drive Technology 27. Hybrid Drive Systems Diagnosis and Repair 28. 12-Volt and HV Battery Technology 29. 12-Volt and HV Battery Service 30. Engine Starting Systems 31. Starting System Diagnosis, Testing, and Repair 32. Charging System Technology 33. Charging System Diagnosis, Testing, and Repair 34. Ignition System Technology 35. Ignition System Diagnosis, Testing, and Repair 36. Lights, Instrumentation, Wipers, and Horns—Operation and Service 37. Sound Systems and Power Accessories 38. Security and Navigation Systems
Fuel, Exhaust, and Induction System Technology
39. Automotive Fuels, Combustion Efficiency 40. Fuel Tanks, Pumps, Lines, and Filters 41. Gasoline Injection Fundamentals 42. Gasoline Injection Diagnosis and Repair 43. Diesel Injection Fundamentals 44. Diesel Injection Diagnosis, Service, and Repair 45. Exhaust System Technology and Repair 46. Turbochargers and Superchargers—Construction, Operation, and Repair
Cooling and Lubrication Systems Technology
47. Cooling System Technology 48. Cooling System Testing, Maintenance, and Repair 49. Lubrication System Fundamentals 50. Lubrication System Diagnosis,Testing, and Repair
Emission Control System Technology
51. Emission Control System Technology 52. Emission Control System Testing, Service, and Repair
Engine Troubleshooting and Performance
53. Engine Performance and Driveability 54. Advanced Diagnostics
Engine Service and Repair
55. Engine Mechanical Problems 56. Engine Removal, Disassembly, and Cleaning 57. Short Block Rebuilding and Machining 58. Engine Top End Rebuilding 59. Front End Service 60. Engine Reassembly, Installation, and Break-In
Drive Train and Axle Technology
61. Clutch Technology 62. Clutch Diagnosis, Service, and Repair 63. Manual Transmission Technology 64. Manual Transmission Diagnosis, Service, and Repair 65. Automatic Transmission Technology 66. Automatic Transmission Diagnosis, Service, and Repair 67. Drive Shaft and Transfer Case Technology 68. Drive Shaft and Transfer Case Diagnosis, Service, and Repair 69. Differential and Rear Drive Axle Technology 70. Differential and Rear Drive Axle Diagnosis, Service, and Repair 71. Transaxle and Front Drive Axle Technology 72. Transaxle and Front Drive Axle Diagnosis and Repair
Suspension and Steering Technology
73. Tire, Wheel, and Wheel Bearing Fundamentals 74. Tire, Wheel, and Wheel Bearing Diagnosis, Service, and Repair 75. Suspension System Technology 76. Suspension System Diagnosis and Repair 77. Steering System Technology 78. Steering System Diagnosis and Repair 79. Wheel Alignment
Brake System Technology
80. Brake System Technology 81. Brake System Diagnosis, Service, and Repair 82. Anti-Lock Brakes, Traction Control, and Stability Control
Heating and Air Conditioning Technology
83. Heating and Air Conditioning Fundamentals 84. Heating and Air Conditioning Diagnosis, Service, and Repair
Safety Systems and Future Technologies
85. Restraint System Technology 86. Restraint System Service 87. New and Future Technology
James E. Duffy - has devoted much of his professional life to developing educational materials that help people understand vocational and technical subjects. Mr. Duffy earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Industrial Technology from Indiana State University. After college, Mr. Duffy worked as an automotive instructor at Brandon High School in Brandon, Florida, and at Hillsborough Adult Education Center in Tampa, Florida. After teaching for several years, Mr. Duffy joined Goodheart-Willcox Publisher as a technical editor and eventually began writing textbooks. In addition to Modern Automotive Technology, Mr. Duffy's books include Auto Electricity and Electronics, Auto Engine Repair, Automatic Transmissions and Transaxles, and Manual Drive Trains and Axles.