Modern Automotive Technology details the construction, operation, diagnosis, service, and repair of late-model automobiles and light trucks. This comprehensive textbook uses a building-block approach that starts with the fundamental principles of system operation and progresses gradually to complex diagnostic and service procedures. Short sentences, concise definitions, and thousands of color illustrations help students learn quickly and easily. The new edition of Modern Automotive Technology provides coverage of the latest developments in the automotive field and is correlated to the 2013 NATEF Task List. A new Fundamentals of Electricity and Electronics section provides students with the background needed to troubleshoot and repair the complex electrical/electronic systems found on today's vehicles. Updated information on hybrid drive systems has been integrated throughout the textbook, and a new hybrid drive system service chapter details the diagnosis and repair of these important systems.
Organized around the ASE automobile test areas, Modern Automotive Technology is a valuable resource for students preparing for a career in automotive technology, as well as experienced technicians preparing for the ASE certification tests.
Contains six new chapters on electricity and electronics.
Covers 100% of the tasks on the 2013 NATEF Task List.
Includes ASE-type questions in every chapter.
Troubleshooting charts in each service chapter help students quickly diagnose problems.
Color is used throughout the text to enhance understanding and highlight important information.
1. The Automobile 2. Automotive Careers and ASE Certification 3. Basic Hand Tools 4. Power Tools and Equipment 5. Auto Shop Safety 6. Automotive Measurement and Math 7. Service Information and Work Orders 8. Fasteners, Gaskets, Seals, and Sealants 9. Vehicle Maintenance, Fluid Service, and Recycling 10. Career Success
Section 2-Engine Technology
11. Engine Fundamentals 12. Engine Design Classifications 13. Engine Top End Construction 14. Engine Bottom End Construction 15. Engine Front End Construction 16. Engine Size and Performance Measurements
Section 3-Fundamentals of Electricity and Electronics
17. Electrical Principles 18. Circuit Types and Ohm's Law 19. Electrical and Electronic Components 20. Electrical Tools and Test Equipment 21. Wiring Diagrams and Wiring Repairs 22. Basic Electrical Tests
Section 4-Computer Control Technology
23. Computer System Fundamentals 24. On-Board Diagnostics and Scan Tools 25. Computer System Service
Section 5-Electrical and Electronic Systems Technology
26. Hybrid Drive Technology 27. Hybrid Drive Systems Diagnosis and Repair 28. 12-Volt and HV Battery Technology 29. 12-Volt and HV Battery Service 30. Starting System Technology 31. Starting System Diagnosis, Testing, and Repair 32. Charging System Technology 33. Charging System Diagnosis, Testing, and Repair 34. Ignition System Technology 35. Ignition System Diagnosis, Testing, and Repair 36. Lights, Instrumentation, Wipers, and Horns-Operation and Service 37. Sound Systems and Power Accessories-Operation and Service 38. Security and Navigation Systems
Section 6-Fuel, Exhaust, and Induction System Technology
39. Automotive Fuels, Combustion Efficiency 40. Fuel Tanks, Pumps, Lines, and Filters 41. Gasoline Injection Fundamentals 42. Gasoline Injection Diagnosis, Testing, and Repair 43. Diesel Injection Fundamentals 44. Diesel Injection Diagnosis, Testing, and Repair 45. Exhaust Systems-Construction, Operation, and Repair 46. Turbochargers and Superchargers-Construction, Operation, and Repair
Section 7-Cooling and Lubrication System Technology
47. Cooling System Technology 48. Cooling System Diagnosis, Testing, and Repair 49. Lubrication System Technology 50. Lubrication System Diagnosis, Testing, and Repair
Section 8-Emission Control System Technology
51. Emission Control System Technology 52. Emission Control System Diagnosis, Testing, and Repair
56. Engine Mechanical Problems 57. Engine Removal, Disassembly, and Cleaning 58. Engine Short Block Rebuilding 59. Engine Top End Rebuilding 60. Engine Front End Service 61. Engine Reassembly, Installation, and Break-In
Section 11-Drive Train and Axle Technology
62. Clutch Technology 63. Clutch Diagnosis, Service, and Repair 64. Manual Transmission Technology 65. Manual Transmission Diagnosis, Service, and Repair 66. Automatic Transmission Technology 67. Automatic Transmission Diagnosis, Service, and Repair 68. Drive Shaft and Transfer Case Technology 69. Drive Shaft and Transfer Case Diagnosis, Service, and Repair 70. Differential and Rear Drive Axle Technology 71. Differential and Rear Drive Axle Diagnosis, Service, and Repair 72. Transaxle and CV-Axle Technology 73. Transaxle and CV-Axle Diagnosis, Service, and Repair
Section 12-Suspension and Steering Technology
74. Tire, Wheel, and Wheel Bearing Fundamentals 75. Tire, Wheel, and Wheel Bearing Diagnosis, Service, and Repair 76. Suspension System Technology 77. Suspension System Diagnosis, Service, and Repair 78. Steering System Technology 79. Steering System Diagnosis, Service, and Repair 80. Wheel Alignment
Section 13-Brake System Technology
81. Brake System Fundamentals 82. Brake System Diagnosis, Service, and Repair 83. Anti-Lock Brakes, Traction, and Stability Control-Operation and Repair
Section 14-Heating and Air Conditioning Technology
84. Heating and Air Conditioning Fundamentals 85. Heating and Air Conditioning Diagnosis, Service, and Repair
Section 15-Safety Systems and Future Technology
86. Restraint System Fundamentals 87. Restraint System Diagnosis, Service, and Repair 88. New and Future Technologies
James E. Duffy - has devoted much of his professional life to developing educational materials that help people understand vocational and technical subjects. Mr. Duffy earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Industrial Technology from Indiana State University. After college, Mr. Duffy worked as an automotive instructor at Brandon High School in Brandon, Florida, and at Hillsborough Adult Education Center in Tampa, Florida. After teaching for several years, Mr. Duffy joined Goodheart-Willcox Publisher as a technical editor and eventually began writing textbooks. In addition to Modern Automotive Technology, Mr. Duffy's books include Auto Electricity and Electronics, Auto Engine Repair, Automatic Transmissions and Transaxles, and Manual Drive Trains and Axles.